Pots, pans, dishes, towels, medicine, sheets, and canned food all go in the cupboards of your kitchen or bathroom. The bulk of a kitchen’s essentials are stored in cabinets. Typically, there is 25-30 feet of cabinet space in the average kitchen. Your bathroom and kitchen cabinets determine the look and feel of your space.
Creating the perfect cabinets for your bathroom or kitchen involves a number of factors. It starts with choosing the type, size, style, materials, and construction method for your new cabinets. Whatever your budget, we are here with all the must-know information on bathroom and kitchen cabinets in Louisville, KY to help you ensure you get custom bathroom and kitchen cabinets that fit your stuff and suit your style.
Types of Cabinets
When it comes to kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, basement cabinets, laundry room cabinets, or any other room cabinets, there are different types to select from. There are three basic types of cabinets in Louisville, KY-based on how they’re manufactured and sold.
- Stock Cabinets: These are entry-level cabinets that are fast to install and easy to find. They are limited in style and color but are sold at a lower price point and can give your space a fresh new look.
- Semi-Custom Cabinets: These are built to order, and allow you to create a custom look without paying the higher price of custom cabinets. Semi-custom cabinets can include more specific finishes, colors, hardware, and features. Most semi-custom cabinets take 4-8 weeks to complete.
- Custom Cabinets: Custom kitchen cabinets are nearly limitless. Fully custom cabinets are created from capable craftsmen and designers to fit your exact specifications in any type of finish, dimensions, features, to literally make anything possible.
Once you choose between stock, semi, and custom cabinets, you’ll need several types of cabinets to create a kitchen. In any basic kitchen design, you’ll need base cabinets, wall cabinets, and often tall cabinets.
- Base Cabinets: Base cabinets go underneath the countertop and provide bulk storage space. They often have shelves, pull-out racks, or roll trays for easy access. Base cabinets can also be fitted for recycling bins, wastebaskets, and laundry hampers.
- Wall Cabinets: Wall-mounted cabinets are mounted directly to the wall and provide great storage options. They are ideal for accessing items while standing or moving about the kitchen.
- Tall Cabinets: Tall cabinets can be up to 96 inches in height and are often used for pantry or utility storage. In a kitchen, they can be used as pantry storage, bulk food supplies, etc.
Popular Cabinet Styles for Bathrooms and Kitchens
One of the best ways to make your kitchen or bathroom your own is by picking your favorite style of bathroom or kitchen cabinets. With several to choose from, it can get overwhelming.
Our bathroom and kitchen designers at Norsemen Company in Louisville, KY can help you narrow down and find your perfect style.
To give you an idea of some of your options, here is a list of 10 popular styles for kitchen cabinets.
- Traditional: These typically have more detail, either a raised panel door or inset recessed door is common. They come in a wide range of woods, white, cream, or red coloring.
- Shaker: Shaker cabinets are clean, simple, and can complement multiple styles. Most often shaker cabinets are natural wood or neutral colors with flat panel doors.
- Rustic: If you’re looking for a cabin or mountain style kitchen, rustic cabinets are perfect. They usually feature imperfect wood grains, knots, grooves, and are designed to give an authentic cabin look.
- Contemporary: A more minimalist style features completely flat surfaces, minimal hardware, and usually made of metal, glass, or manufactured wood.
- Slab: Slab cabinets are a modern look that is even more sleek than contemporary. Slab style is a completely flat panel, making them easy to clean and often less expensive than other styles.
- Country: Meant to give off a cozy, farmhouse vibe, country cabinets often come in raised-panel, bead-board, and even variations like wire, glass, or tin. Country cabinets are also colored and distressed to enhance the country, farmhouse feel.
- Craftsman: Craftsman is defined by straight lines made of heavy wood with quality construction and minimal ornamentation. They are often left in natural wood rather than painted.
- Glass-Front: Mixing and matching glass front cabinets with other styles of cabinets is a great way to add style and dimension to your kitchen.
- Louvered: This is a unique style that’s often used as an accent cabinet. Louvered cabinets look similar to window shutters with vertical wood slats on the doors. This can be great for areas that need ventilation like housing electronics.
- Open Shelving: This is not technically cabinets, but can be installed by the cabinet crew to add additional storage in the kitchen. Open cabinets are great for around cooking areas to display matching dishware.
At Norsemen, we have a wide array of cabinet colors and door designs. Below is just a sample of the options available to you.