Life is too short to live without the bathroom of your dreams.
Your bathroom is where you start your day and get ready to take on the world. It’s also where you end your day and wash off the stress of life.
While it’s not a place you typically bring guests or show off to friends, the bathroom is well worth the investment you give it. Therefore, considering bathroom remodeling can be a good option for your home.
4 Signs It’s Time to Remodel Your Bathroom
Are you ready for an upgrade?
These are four sure signs that it’s time to give your bathroom a little TLC.
1. Outdated Design: If the design, paint colors, lighting, and fixtures look like they came out of the last decade, then it’s probably time for a refresh.
There may not be anything physically wrong with your bathroom, just the cosmetic appeal is lacking.
With a refreshed bathroom, you will have a bright and modern space to greet you each morning, and the update will pay off when it’s time to sell.
2. Bad Layout: If you are stumbling over the toilet or squeezing past the sink, your bathroom may suffer from a layout issue.
Most bathrooms, especially in older homes, aren’t built for today’s needs. With some thoughtful planning, and perhaps help from a contractor or designer, a bathroom can be laid out in a completely different way using the same space more efficiently.
3. Minimal Storage: The bathroom is a small space with a lot of supplies.
A renovation can be exactly what you need to create all the storage you need without bulky store-bought organizers. With built-in storage options, your bathroom looks and feels much better.
4. Just Because: Even if everything is functional and up-to-date, you may want to upgrade your bathroom to match your needs and style. If you are sick of walking into the bathroom every day to see something you hate, a bathroom remodeling can give you a space you enjoy.
How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
The National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) suggests budgeting between 5% and 10% of your home’s value for a bathroom remodel.
The cost will greatly vary based on several factors:
Size of Bathroom: Typically, the more square footage of your bathroom, the more materials, and labor that will be involved. However, this isn’t always the case. Sometimes a small powder room can cost more than you think if you make big changes.
Type of Bathroom: There are three main types of bathrooms – standard, half, and wet. Each type of bathroom has different sized materials, some requiring specialty materials. A wet bathroom is the most expensive.
Extent of Remodel: Upgraded finishes and a little paint doesn’t cost much. If you’re replacing fixtures, changing the layout, or adding custom storage you’ll see a price increase.
Material Grade: Regardless of the size of your bathroom, you can reduce or increase the price by selecting different material quality. For example, if you want to install tile, you can reduce the remodel cost by selecting a lower grade tile versus picking a “luxury” grade tile.
5 Tips to Stay Within Your Project Budget
It is easy for things to get out of hand and projects to quickly bust the budget.
Keeping these tips in mind as you plan your bathroom remodeling will allow you to avoid sticker shock and stay within your budget.
1. Review Your Finances: Before calling a bathroom remodeling expert, you need to evaluate how much you can afford. Be realistic. Take your vision and research how much things cost in order to set a realistic budget.
2. Make a List of Must-Haves and Nice to Haves: Ask yourself what you want out of the remodel and make a list of the things you must have and the things that are not so critical. This will make sure your budget covers the must-haves and if you have some wiggle room, you can add a few luxury items.
3. Account for the Unexpected: With any home improvement project, there are going to be expenses you can’t foresee. Maybe the plumbing needs to be repaired or the cost of tile went up. Whatever it may be, set aside a money cushion for the unexpected.
4. Find the Best Payment Options: There are several ways to fund a bathroom remodel. Personal savings, home equity loan, personal loan, and refinancing just to name a few. Select the one with low risk, low-interest rates, and reasonable payback time. This will help you get the most realistic budget that won’t break the bank.
5. Stay Focused: It can be exciting and overwhelming to remodel a bathroom making it easy to get sidetracked on the goal and budget. Keep a list of costs on a spreadsheet to track your spending so you know when you are straying from the budget.
Popular Bathroom Styles
There are infinite ways to style a bathroom. Your needs and personal preferences will dictate the final product.
To help get you started designing your dream bathroom, here are 5 popular bathroom styles:
1. Transitional: Think light gray shaker style cabinets with subway tile, a pedestal tub, and a modern chandelier. Transitional bathrooms gracefully walk the line between traditional and contemporary, with beautiful details and soft colors to bring both styles together.
2. Modern: Picture crisp lines, minimalistic design, black walls, and frameless mirrors. A modern bathroom is crisp, clean and typically sticks with neutral black, white, or wood tones.
3. Contemporary: A digital shower you can turn on from an app or a smart mirror that tells you the weather are details you’ll find in a contemporary bathroom. Typically a black and white pallet complements the trendy details you’ll find here.
4. Traditional: A large vanity, custom cabinets, and stone countertops are the signature style of a traditional bathroom. Blues, greens, browns, and grays work together to create a timeless and comfortable space.
5. Farmhouse: Simple, honest, and homespun describe a farmhouse bathroom. Look for nature-like color schemes, barn lighting, sliding doors, and a trough sink to finish off a farmhouse-style bathroom.
Important Dos and Don’t of Bathroom Renovations
Consider the following tips from the experts on things you can do to help your bathroom remodeling go a little more smooth:
How to Find the Best Bathroom Remodeler
It can be overwhelming to choose a contractor to trust with your home.
Don’t feel rushed to pick up the phone and commit to a project, take your time to find a partner you feel comfortable working with.
Find Companies: Start by gathering a list of 4-6 companies in your area that do what you are looking for. These can come from an online search, word of mouth, or other advertisements.
Research Each Company: Next, research each company to get a good idea of what they do and what reputation they have. Start with the company website, be sure to read reviews on other sites, look at pictures, and ask friends and family for their opinion. If possible go see their work firsthand.
Contact the Best Ones: Narrow down your list to 2 or 3. Contact each company directly. Explain your project and ask all the questions you can think of. Get written estimates, and if they offer them, ask for an in-home consultation. All of this will help you get a good sense of who is the top company for the job.
Select the Winner: At the end of the day, always trust your gut. It will never fail you. Also be sure you don’t just go with the cheapest option, or even the most expensive. Go with the one who made you feel at ease and is the most qualified.
Everything is Better with a Partner
Completing a bathroom remodeling process can be both an exciting and daunting experience.
There are few things more satisfying than a beautiful space for your personal care. On the other hand, these projects can get pricey and take longer than expected.
Make your remodel a success by hiring the experts at Norseman.
We are here to help you transform your bathroom into an oasis.
Give us a call today for a FREE consultation and estimate.